By Nancy Maliwesky
Retired Director, APHGA
“Presbyterian Church, Pompey, NY,
Built in 1817”
1939 Postcard, Pomeroy Collection
Missed Part 1? Click here.
The Pomeroys Come to Town
When Spencer Pomeroy and Mary Ann Coe were married by Reverend Hugh Wallis in Pompey on 3 Mar 1807, there may have been more reasons for the marriage than love alone. Mary Ann, at 16, was young to be marrying at that time. A short five months later, Mary Ann would give birth to a son, Francis W. Pomeroy. It is possible that Mary Ann and Spencer named their first born after Spencer's cousin, the Reverend Francis Pomeroy.
Spencer Pomeroy probably came to Pompey with his widowed mother, Sarah L. (Allen) Pomeroy in the spring of 1806. How long he knew Mary Ann prior to their marriage is unknown. While mother Sarah was a member of the Congregational Church of Pompey, Spencer did not apparently join the church, nor have we found evidence that Mary Ann joined either. Mary Ann’s parents, though, were members of this same church.
Spencer was born on 3 May 1780 in Northampton, MA, making him fully ten years older than Mary Ann. Spencer was the ninth of eleven children born to Pliny Pomeroy and his wife Sarah L. Allen. Spencer was also a twin with his sister Charlotte. The Pliny Pomeroy family lived in Northampton and Westhampton, having settled on ancestral land that was owned by Pliny's father, Lieutenant Daniel Pomeroy. Daniel was a younger brother of Seth Pomeroy, who was named the first Brigadier General of the newly formed United States, by George Washington. Daniel and Seth both fought in the Battle of the Bloody Morning Scout, the opening battle of the Battle of Lake George. Daniel died in the battle. Seth wrote poignantly about the event in his journal and to his wife and Daniel's widow.
Pliny was the only child of Daniel and his first wife Mary Clapp, and was born 19 May 1734. Mary died when Pliny was less than a month old, probably from conditions sustained during childbirth. Daniel married Rachel Moseley 4 Nov 1736 in Westfield, MA, about two and a half years after Mary died. Daniel and Rachel had nine children. It is interesting to speculate as to who raised young Pliny. It was very unusual at that time for a widowed father to raise an infant. Did Pliny live with grandparents? Did he later move back to his father's home to be raised by Rachel?
Pliny's half-brother Timothy, nicknamed “Old Staghorn” and the fourth child of Daniel and his second wife, ran a tavern in Westhampton, near the lead mine originally discovered by Ethan Allen. Timothy married Ann Ashley on 8 Jun 1766 in Northampton. Ann was a first cousin of Sarah Allen, who had married Pliny Pomeroy on 24 Nov 1757. Pliny was eight years older than his half-brother. Timothy and Ann's first child was Francis Pomeroy, born probably in 1767, as he was baptized on the 17th of June of that year. He was about thirteen years older than his cousin Spencer. Francis began his career as a clothier and indigo dyer, but received a calling to preach while in his mid-thirties. He became a member of the Middle Association of the Military Tract (a branch of the Connecticut Missionary Society), and requested and unanimously received a license to preach by that Committee on 20 Jun 1805. On 31 Dec 1805 Francis was given the call to become the pastor of the First Congregational Society of Brutus, in Cayuga County, New York. Francis would later divide his time amongst several churches in what is now known as Wayne and Ontario Counties, New York. Francis Pomeroy was the Reverend that was at the ordination of Reverend Levi Parsons as pastor of the First Presbyterian Church in Marcellus, New York on 15 Sep 1807 which was also attended by Ithamar Coe. On 11 Feb 1811 Levi was named a trustee of the Pompey Academy, an organization also supported by Ithamar Coe, James Higgins and Titus Rust. Three of Francis’ sisters; Anna (Pomeroy) Clark, Thankful (Pomeroy) Day, and Lovisa Pomeroy, had moved to Marcellus (now Skaneateles), New York and were joined by their mother after Timothy's death in 1802. Reverend Levi Parsons was a second cousin once removed to Sarah L. (Allen) Pomeroy, and a third cousin to both Reverend Francis Pomeroy and Spencer Pomeroy. Levi Parsons was also a third cousin once removed to Ithamar Coe as all of these families had settled early New England. Reverend Francis Pomeroy and Reverend Levi Parsons were also third cousins.
Sarah (Allen) Pomeroy was born 6 May 1740 in Northampton, Massachusetts to Joseph Allen and his wife Elizabeth “Betty” Parsons. Sarah was a younger sister of Major Jonathan Allen, a soldier of the Revolution who died 1 Jan 1780 in Northampton, from a gunshot wound suffered in a hunting accident. Jonathan left an extensive will and his probate records are on file at the Hampshire County Probate Court in Northampton. As one of Jonathan Allen’s siblings, after all of the estate bills were paid, Sarah and her siblings inherited 17£ 16 shillings.
Spencer, his mother the widow Sarah Pomeroy, and his sisters Charlotte, Nancy and Clarissa settled in Pompey, New York. Sarah, Spencer and we presume Clarissa (then unmarried) came together about 1806. Both Nancy and Charlotte were already married and it is likely that Nancy and husband James Higgins had already moved to Pompey. James and Nancy had married in her father’s home in Westhampton 8 Dec 1795 according to Reverend Enoch Hale’s diary. James Higgins is identified as “removed” in the 1800 US Federal Census of Buckland, Hampshire County, Massachusetts. In 1803 James is identified as living on lot 59 in Pompey, NY on the tax roll of that town. He is taxed on real estate valued at $0, and personal property valued at $40. We assume that the property he is living on is not owned by him, as we have not found a deed and he was not taxed on the property. It is likely, given what we know of his profession, that he was running an inn.
In both January of 1805 and 1806 he is involved in lawsuits in Onondaga County, being sued in 1805 for $24.89 by Moses Johnson, and in 1806 for $150 by Joseph Smith. Also, in Oct 1806 James raised bail for John Fowler in a case brought against Fowler for trespass and damage to the amount of $100 to which he did not answer in the previous session of the court, prompting the complainant’s attorney to request that Fowler be held by the sheriff on bail until the next court date. John Fowler and James Higgins pledged $200 in surety for this bail, and were later sued by Aaron Hoar in April of 1807 for failure to pay a note on that surety amounting to $31. We know James was a tavern keeper, and as such was probably one of only a handful of business men in Pompey with readily available cash (and credit). Was James acting as a bail bondsman for John Fowler, or was there a relationship between these men which could explain why James would put up his own money in this man’s defense? John Fowler is found on the 1800 US Federal Census records residing in Pompey, as head of household, and in fact the only member of this household. Enumerated before and after him on the census record are Levi, Eliphalet and Justus Fowler. On 15 Mar 1802, John along with many other townsmen, signed a petition for the formation of an academy at Pompey. John Fowler was the son of Eliphalet and Mary Thankful (Pixley) Fowler, and was brother to Levi and Justus.
We do not know exactly when Charlotte and her husband Titus Rust were in Pompey prior to Sarah, Spencer and Clarissa's arrival. Titus appears on the 1802 tax roll for Pompey, New York with real property valued at $89. Charlotte and Titus married in Westhampton, 4 Feb 1802, according to Reverend Enoch Hale’s diary. Titus was born 17 Oct 1779 in Northampton, Massachusetts, son of Elijah Rust and wife Miriam Strong. Titus’ older sister Salome Rust married Captain Joseph Rhoades, Jr 11 Dec 1788 in Westhampton, so it is likely that the family was living in Westhampton which was formed from Northampton, making the Rust and Pomeroy families near neighbors.
On 19 Apr 1804, Joseph Rhoades and his wife Salome gave their interest in 300 acres of land on lot 59 in Pompey, New York, to Erastus Baker as tenants in common. So we know that Titus’ sister was living in Pompey by 1804. Subsequent research has shown that Joseph Rhodes was an early merchant and post master in Manlius, Onondaga County, New York, as early as 1800. He also was an owner of a public house in Pompey (now LaFayette) by 1800. In a conversation with Roy Dodge, an author and expert in Pompey and LaFayette early history, we spoke of the Rust/Rhoades connection to the early history of the area. Roy told me that there was a “Chesterfield Colony” that settled early near the four corners in LaFayette. Some of these families included the Bakers, Kings, and Clapps. Roy also recalled a connection between these families and Pliny and Daniel Porter (brothers).
Another early settler of the area was Elijah Rust. This does not appear to be the Elijah
When Sarah arrived in Pompey she was 66 years old, and had been widowed for less than two years. Why would she have chosen to uproot her life and make such a long and arduous journey in her old age? Was it her idea to move, or Spencer's? While the family had spent most of their lives in Northampton and Westhampton, they were living in Westfield when Pliny died. Sarah, an older daughter of Pliny and Sarah, who had married Stephen Ashley and lived in Westhampton, had died in 1802, leaving four children under the age of ten. We speculate that Sarah and Pliny and their younger children had moved to Westhampton to care for these children. Sarah was reportedly a midwife. Did her daughter Sarah die from complications of a pregnancy? Did Sarah move to Pompey because her daughter Nancy, the wife of James Higgins, was pregnant or had children and needed help?
One can get a good sense of what Pompey was like at the turn of the 19th century by reading the book Re-Union and History of Pompey. The biographical sketches of some of the early settlers paint a picture of a tight-knit community. It was not uncommon for a new settling family to temporarily reside in a home built by an earlier settler. These were probably simple log dwellings, with few amenities. There is frequent reference to settlers “reclaiming the wilderness”, and indeed, back in 1795, this area was mostly forest. Pompey, especially Pompey Hill, became a favorable location, as its elevation provided escape from the swampland in the surrounding area. One such swampland would become Syracuse, N.Y.
According to the pamphlet “Historic & Archaeological Resources of the Connecticut River Valley, A Framework for Preservation Decisions”, published by the Massachusetts Historical Commission, the Old Post Road ran east and west through Westfield, MA during the colonial period. Was this the road that Sarah and her children took towards Pompey, NY?
The first concrete evidence we have of the Pomeroys’ arrival in Pompey Hill (known as Butler’s Hill until 1811, when a Post Office was established), is 4 Jul 1806, when Sarah Pomeroy is received into the First Congregational Church of Pompey, by a letter from the church at Westfield, Massachusetts. A notice published in the Hampshire Federalist Newspaper, dated 15 Apr 1806, lists a letter remaining in the Westfield Post Office for Spencer Pomroy. This list was dated 1 April 1806 and was advertised in the local paper, as required by law, for letters unclaimed for three months. This would date the letter to January 1806 or before. Given the greater ease of traveling when the ground was frozen, it is likely that the Pomeroys made their trip to Pompey during the winter of 1805/6.
An article written by Luella Dunham entitled “Talks About Pompey Hill, Part XV - Historiography” and published in the Fayetteville Weekly Recorder 20 Nov 1879 gives an interesting “fact” about the Widow Pomeroy (whom we presume is Sarah) which we have as of yet been unable to verify. Luella writes: “Mrs. Shattuck said Jimmy Cobb’s modest mansion was built in 1806 by Ebenezer Handy, the same year that she came to Pompey.... The next house south of Mr. Cobb’s was built by widow Pomeroy in 1806. One authority states that Lewis Baker lived there as early as from 1820 to ’25. Another says that sometime before 1834, it was the home of a wagon maker named Charles Clark. He had a partner named Crane. Elan Hobert was the incumbent in 1834. It was once owned by Hon. Horace Wheaton now of Syracuse, who rented to Henry Woodin, of Syracuse, and afterwards to William Robbins. Charles Wilby has been the occupant for a quarter of a century at least.”
A historic marker at 1340 Cherry Street in Pompey Hill identifies the site of the Ebenezer Handy house. An 1859 map of Pompey Hill identified the household of J. Cobb, on the road that is now known as Cherry Street. A house to the south of the J. Cobb residence on the 1859 map is identified as the home of C. Wilby. If the information given to Luella Dunham by Mrs. Shattuck is correct, the house identified as owned by C. Wilby on the 1859 map of Pompey Hill is likely the house built by the widow Pomeroy. Also according to the 1859 map the residence of Henry Seymour was directly north of the J. Cobb house, at the present intersection of Cherry Street, Sweet Road and Rte. 91. We have been unable to find any deeds that would identify this property as belonging to Sarah or her offspring who settled in Pompey, but there is some speculative evidence that suggests that she was living on or near this location according to the 1810 US Federal Census.
In looking at the 1810 Census, in combination with the above listed sources, we were able to determine the page that contained the inhabitants of Pompey Hill based on known residents Henry Seymour, Jesse Butler and Daniel Tibbals. All three men are found clustered together near the bottom of page 518 and the beginning of page 519, and lo and behold, enumerated two lines above Henry Seymour was found Ichabod Wood, and a line above him was James Higgins, both sons-in-law of Sarah Pomeroy. As evidence points to James’ occupation as a tavern keeper, it was not surprising to find several people listed in this household. One, a free white female of 45 years of age and upwards, is the right age to be Sarah Pomeroy. A review of the Spencer Pomeroy, Titus Rust and Ichabod Wood households does not identify a woman who is in the correct age range to be Sarah, so it would appear that Sarah was living with her daughter Nancy and son-in-law James Higgins when the 1810 census enumeration was taken. Spencer Pomeroy was found towards the bottom of page 511, enumerated directly above Chauncey Jerome and near Nathaniel Butts and Marovia Marsh.
Titus Rust is not found as head of household in the 1810 Census for Pompey, New York. While Titus purchased property on lots 64 and 65 in Pompey in 1805 and 1806, subsequent money problems forced the sale of these properties after Titus filed as an insolvent debtor in 1807. On 11 Feb 1811 he signed a petition for the incorporation of the Pompey Academy, so it is likely that he was living in Pompey when the census was taken in 1810. Could he have been living in the James Higgins household? While it is possible that Titus lived with either James Higgins or Ichabod Wood, there are no children in either household who are the correct ages to be Titus’ children. Both of Titus’ sons, Daniel and Pliny are found in Westhampton, Massachusetts in 1826, which makes us wonder whether the children, after or before the father’s death, went to live with his kin, although 1810 US Federal Census records for each of Titus’ siblings do not contain clues regarding the whereabouts of these children.
On 20 Jun 1807 James Higgins subscribed $20 in joiner’s work towards the completion of the Pompey Academy. While evidence of his children is somewhat circumstantial, as we have no names or ages, it is likely that one or both of the free white females between 10 and 15 in his household according to the 1810 census were his. As we know that he and wife Nancy married in 1795 it is likely that they would have had children of that age in 1810. We do not know whether the free white male under 10 was also their child, but it would appear from Higgins’ support of the Pompey Academy that he did have children. According to the book Re-Union and History of Pompey, James ran the first hotel in LaFayette about 1808.
On 13 Sep 1809 James Higgins bought one acre of land on lot 64 from Lewis Baker for $75.
On 1 Apr 1815, James Higgins of Manlius, NY was charged $37.50 for duties for licenses for still and the sale of spirituous liquors in the 22nd District according to Luther Marsh’s Duty Collection Ledger. That same year Rev. Hugh Wallis of Pompey was taxed on a two wheeled chaise; Dr. Daniel Tibbals of Pompey was taxed on a two wheeled chaise and a 4 wheeled wagon, and Marovia Marsh was taxed on the manufacture of hats, caps, and bonnets.
It is also interesting to note that other Pomeroy descendants were early settlers of Pompey. Thankful Sheldon, daughter of Captain Asa Sheldon and Thankful Pomeroy, who settled in New Marlborough, Berkshire County, Massachusetts, came with her husband Luther Wright to Pompey by 1799. Luther is listed on the 1799 tax roll for Pompey, where he was taxed 30 cents on a farm valued at $240 and personal property valued at $60. In 1800 he was taxed 70 cents on a farm valued at $204 and personal property valued at $38. (Apparently taxes went up over these two years!) Luther was also listed as head of household in the US Federal Census of 1800 in Pompey, with two free white males under 10, 1 free white male of 26 through 44, and one free white female of 26 through 44. According to the A.A. Pomeroy genealogy, Luther Wright and Thankful Sheldon had 5 children: Dorick Wright, born 8 Oct 1797; Alveh Wright, born 9 Jul 1799; Elias and Eliza Wright, twins, born 4 Jul 1801; and Sheldon Wright, born 1804. If this is correct, it would seem likely that the two free white males under ten, identified in Luther Wright’s household, were sons Dorick and Alveh.
Luther settled in what now is known as La Fayette, N.Y., then a part of Pompey. On 24 Sep 1804, Luther Wright, of Pompey, purchased part of lot 76 for $340 from Solomon and Lois Owen of Pompey. According to the “One Hundredth Anniversary of the First Presbyterian Church of LaFayette, New York”, “…the first settlers of this locality which was known in the early days as Pompey West Hill were nearly all New Englanders, many having come from Berkshire and Hampshire Counties, Mass. The first settler came to town in 1792 and by 1805 emigrants were rapidly pouring into this section. At the first meeting of the Columbian Society which was held at Stoughton Morse’s Inn the following officers were elected. Two moderators, Joseph Smith and Jacob Johnson. Six trustees, Luther Wright, Levi Wheaton, Noah Hoyt, Nathan Abbott, Major Isaac Hall and Capt. Erastus Baker, Dr. Silas Park, Clerk. A committee was appointed to have the Society legally incorporated and to draw up a constitution and by-laws, Major Isaac Hall, Ezekiel Hoyt, Joseph Smith, Dr. Silas Park, Luther Wright and Caleb Green. This committee appeared before Judge Asa Danforth July 26 1806 and the certificate of incorporation bears the signature of that early settler. In 1808 the Society built a school house on the square acre given them by Caleb Green and Erastus Baker. Although the Church was not organized until 1809 the first important business of the Society was to find a minister of the Gospel, and the first secured was Elder Butler.
Luther Wright died intestate before 5 Sep 1808, when the administration of his estate was granted to Amasa Wright and “Lory” Wright. On 3 Jun 1809, Amasa Wright and Laura Rockefellow, administrators, were given the right to sell the estate of Luther Wright, deceased. Other Wrights who were early settlers of Pompey were Ebenezer, taxed in 1799 and 1800 and found in Pompey according to the 1800 US Federal Census; Enos and Jeremiah Wright, in Pompey in 1800 according to the census; and Russell Wright, taxed on a farm in Pompey in 1800. Were these Wrights related?
Amasa Wright married Elisabeth Chapel 1 May 1788 in New Marlborough, Berkshire County, Massachusetts. As we know that Thankful Sheldon lived in New Marlborough, this information may be a clue that Amasa Wright was related to Luther Wright. We have yet to find a marriage record for Luther and Thankful. Wright researchers identify Amasa Wright’s parents as Caleb Wright and Sarah Strong. According to A.A. Pomeroy, Caleb Wright was the son of Captain Noah Wright and Sarah Pomeroy (daughter of the Honorable Major Ebenezer Pomeroy, which would make Sarah a grandaunt to Spencer Pomeroy, and a distant cousin to Thankful Sheldon. How many other early residents of Pompey were related to the Pomeroys?
Pomeroy researcher Alethea Connolly visited the Onondaga County Clerk’s Office on Thursday, 25 August 2011 and brought back the following information: while there is no probate for Luther listed in the Surrogates Office, she did find a deed showing the Luther bought land on lot 76 in Pompey, from S. Owens in 1801. That land, and additional land on lot 75, was sold in 1810 to pay debts to his estate in the amount of $445, by his administrators, Amasa Wright and Laura Rockefellows. This land was purchased by Nathaniel Bird.
Prior to Marriage
On 27 Dec 1812, Ithamar was appointed a delegate to represent the Pompey Congregational Church in the Presbytery of Onondaga, held at Homer, NY. On 17 April 1813 one week after Reverend Jabez Chadwick was installed as the pastor of the First Congregational Church of Pompey, he with the other two deacons of the church, Levi Jerome, and Ezra Hart, and Mr. Dudly Perley, was appointed to a committee with Rev. Chadwick, on catechetical instruction. On 3 Dec 1815 Ithamar was appointed a delegate to attend the extra meeting of the Presbytery to be held at Fabius, NY 18 Dec 1815.
Not much evidence has been found that would flesh out Mary Ann’s life in Pompey prior to her marriage to Spencer Pomeroy. We assume she lived with her parents on property the owned on lot 37. Pompey Road Books give us glimpses of the Coe’s near neighbors, at least those who lived on the same road as the family. On 23 Apr 1801 the family is identified as living near the Chenango road, on the same road as Joseph Shattuck and Jonathan Ball (Ithamar’s brother-in-law.)
On 5 Apr 1814 Ithamar is listed in the Road Books as part of an alteration to a road district that affected him, Charles Baldwin (as his office was in this road district), Henry Seymour and Nathaniel Butts. Ithamar’s name also appears in the Road Books three times as a surveyor.
The story of the Shattuck family is indicative of the problems faced by many early settlers of the military tract. Joseph Shattuck was born 29 Sep 1749 in Deerfield, Franklin County, Massachusetts, to parents Samuel and Sarah (Closson) Shattuck. He married Chloe Scott 23 Nov 1775 and in 1780 served two separate times for a total of 8 months and 20 days in under Captain Isaac Pope, in the Fourth Massachusetts Regiment (also known as the Third Continental Regiment) during the War of the Revolution. About 1795 he purchased part of lot 47 in Pompey, where he and his family settled. On 19 Oct 1796 he was one of the founding members of the First Congregational Church of Pompey, with Ebenezer and Desire Butler, Selah, Lucy, Trueworthy and Freelove Cook and Levi and Amarilla Jerome. Joseph and Chloe (Scott) Shattuck were the parents of nine boys, Stephen, born 14 Jul 1777, Zebina, born 12 Jan 1780, Joseph, Jr., born 16 Apr 1782, Chester, born 17 Aug 1784, Eli, born 1787, Ansel, born 10 Aug 1789, Lucius, born 15 Oct 1791, Alfred, born 15 Aug 1794, and Truman, born 4 Apr 1798.
By 7 Sep 1801, Joseph Shattuck and his family had been forced to leave what they thought was their property on lot 47 and had moved nearby, as they are mentioned in the Pompey Road Book as on land on lots 37 and 38, near neighbor Henry Hudson. This move was precipitated by a lawsuit brought by Conrad Bush, the legitimate owner of the property. This title dispute was a great hardship to Joseph and his family, as they had cleared sixty acres, and built a log house and barn on the land.
On 15 Mar 1802, Joseph Shattuck signed a petition to the Board of Regents of the University of the State of New York to establish the Pompey Academy. The other signers were Ozias Burr, Daniel Wood, John Lamb, John Bowers, Reuben Pixley, Jr., Gad Loveland, Salmon Butler, Curtis Chappel, Joseph Jackson, Moses Lilly, Jr., Samuel Jones, Allen Butler, Amasa Wright, Elias Conklin, George Catlin, Josiah Holbrook, Timothy Cossett, Israel Mun, Salmon Squire, Selah Cook, Elijah Webb, Nathan Davis, Obed Handy, Hven Webster, Asher Frost, Ebenezer Hay, John Willard, Daniel Tibbals, Russell Clark, Abel Bigelow, Orange King, Dix Hoar, Daniel C. Judd, John Baar, James Price, Ezra Hart, Meigs Brown, Ezekiel Webster, John Fowler, Jonas C. Leland, Harvey Luce, James Griffin, Jr., Joseph Mather, Benjamin Butler, Hezekiah Dodge, William Miller, Joseph Luce, Stephen Hayes, Levi Farnham, Isaac Higbee, Roderick Smith, Richard Crocker, William Howard, James Beebee, Epaphs Emmons, Joseph H. Smith, Isaac Catlin, Isaac Hall and Artemas Bishop.
Unfortunately for Joseph Shattuck, the property he had bought after being evicted from Conrad Bush’s land also came into title question, and he was again evicted, at which point he moved to Cohocton, Steuben County, New York about 1805. While six of his sons also moved to Cohocton, several stayed in Pompey after their father’s removal and married there.
Of these was Joseph’s eldest son Stephen Shattuck who married Rebecca Pixley in 1799 and who is found in the 1800, 1810, and 1820 US Federal Census records in Pompey, New York. He was admitted to the Pompey Presbyterian Church by a confession of faith 5 Sep 1823. On 14 Sep 1823, he was appointed by the Church to audit the accounts of Israel Woodford, the Church treasurer. On 7 Apr 1826 he was listed in the Pompey Road Book as part of the new road district 88, by Norris Case. Also listed in this district were Chester Shattuck, Alson Nearing, John Nearing, John Nearing Jr., and James Beach.
On 30 Sep 1827, Stephen was appointed a delegate to the Synod at Ithaca, representing the Pompey Presbyterian Church to take place 2 Oct 1827. On 4 Feb 1828 he was appointed by the Church as a delegate to attend the Presbytery at Onondaga, “to attend till the close of Mrs. Stevens appeal and trial before Presbytery, Dea. Elijah Wells and Mr. Samuel Baker, his alternates, were appointed to attend the session of the Presbytery during the present year, their time of service to commence at close of Mr. Shattucks.” On 5 Nov 1832 he, with deacons Woodford, Porter and Jerome, and Samuel Baker and Abraham Northrup were appointed to a committee to “examine such persons, for admission to the church, as decline coming before the body of the church.” On 26 Dec 1832, Stephen and wife Rebecca were dismissed from the Pompey Presbyterian Church to the church at Apulia, New York.
Zebina Shattuck, second son of Joseph, married Sally Barlow 3 Jul 1801 in Pompey, but was living in Cohocton, New York by 4 Feb 1808, where his son Stephen L. Shattuck was born.
Joseph Shattuck, Jr., third son of Joseph, married Susanna Smith 31 Dec 1806 in Pompey and was in Steuben County, NY when the US Federal Census was taken. On 29 Apr 1813, the first town meeting of Cohocton was held in his house according to the Historical Gazetteer of Steuben County. According to the book Memorials of the Descendants of William Shattuck, Joseph Shattuck, Jr., died in Kentucky in 1841 “as it is supposed”. Joseph, who would have been 8 years older than Mary Ann, married 3 months prior to Mary Ann’s marriage to Spencer Pomeroy on 3 Mar 1807. Mary Ann gave birth to Francis W. Pomeroy 24 Aug 1807, according to a copy of the births, deaths and marriages in the Coe Family bible. This was five months after Mary Ann’s marriage to Spencer Pomeroy, which means that she was pregnant when she married Spencer. While we cannot discount Spencer as the father, some doubt to Francis’ paternity has been raised by YDNA tests taken by two direct male descendants of Francis. These descendants are not matching any other Pomeroys in the YDNA study, which includes a descendant of Spencer’s older brother Pliny. In trying to trace the possible paternity of Francis Pomeroy, we have looked at other men living in Pompey at the time that Mary Ann became pregnant, which includes the Shattuck family as near neighbors. An interesting coincidence is the discovery of a Joseph Shaddock, found living in Norwalk, Ohio, where Mary Ann moved by 1825, according to the 1819 Census of Ohio, which was enumerated in Norwalk 24 May 1819. Is this the Joseph Shattuck who was a near neighbor of the Coe family in Pompey?
Chester Shattuck, the fourth son of Joseph, married first on 19 Feb 1808 to Melinda More, in Pompey, NY. Melinda gave birth to a daughter, Melinda on 29 Sep 1810 who died 20 Oct 1810, outliving her mother by 11 days. A Chester Shattuck is listed as head of household in the 1810 US Federal Census, living in Pompey, NY. He married second in Pompey, New York 4 Mar 1812, Caroline Beach, and was found in the 1820 US Federal Census, again living in Pompey. Chester and Caroline had at least ten children, all born in Pompey. He was listed twice in 1826 in the Pompey Road Book, and died 5 Dec 1849 in Pompey. He was buried in the Berwyn (Maplewood) Cemetery, in LaFayette, New York. Caroline lived with her son Alvin and his wife Helen in Grand Rapids, Michigan before her death in that city on 31 Aug 1885. She was buried in the Berwyn (Maplewood) Cemetery with her husband.
Eli Shattuck, Joseph’s fifth son, married Harriet Murray in Pompey on 11 Sep 1810. He was a cooper who worked and resided in West Bloomfield, New York, and was also a volunteer in the War of 1812, having fought in the battle of Black Rock (near Buffalo, New York) and subsequently having been taken prisoner and held for six weeks by the British in Canada. An Eli Shattuck was head of household in Bloomfield, New York, according to the U.S. Federal Census. He died 1 Aug 1853 in Vernon, Michigan. Harriet Murray, Eli’s wife, was the daughter of Reuben Murray and his second wife Sarah Knickerbocker, widow of David Griffin. Reuben was born 17 Feb 1743 in East Guilford, Connecticut, married Sarah Guthrie about 1766, was a veteran of the Revolution, serving as a lieutenant in the 17th New York Regiment, commanded by William Bradford Whiting, and fought at the battle of Ticonderoga. He was a Justice of the Peace for Columbia County, New York between 1786 and 1792 and died 26 Nov 1810 in Pompey, where he was buried in the Sweet Cemetery. Reuben’s first wife, Sarah Guthrie, was the daughter of John Guthrie and Abigail Coe, great grandaunt of Ithamar Coe. Eli and Harriet (Murray) Shattuck had at least 8 children, all born in West Bloomfield, New York.
Ansel Shattuck, Joseph’s sixth son, married Rachel Bump on 25 Jan 1809 in Pompey. He was a farmer and contractor of public works in Pompey who died there 8 Feb 1849. Ansel and Rachel (Bump) Shattuck had at least nine children, all born in Pompey. 
Lucius Shattuck, Joseph’s seventh son, appears to have removed to Cohocton, New York after 1805, probably with his parents. He built a log hotel there in 1810 which was run by Joseph Chamberlain, but was later occupied as a shoemaker. He married first on 6 Feb 1814, Hitty Chamberlin, by whom he had at least eight children. Hitty died 12 Jul 1847 in Cohocton. Lucius married second, on 5 May 1848, Elizabeth Cornell. He died on 20 Nov 1852 in Cohocton.
Alfred Shattuck, Joseph’s eighth son, also appears to have removed to Cohocton with his parents. He married on 28 May 1820, Sarah V. Collyer in Avoca, New York. An Alfred Shattuck is found as head of household in Cohocton according to the 1820 U.S. Federal Census. He died 13 Aug 1847 in Plymouth, Michigan. He and his wife Sarah had at least twelve children.
Truman Shattuck, Joseph’s ninth and youngest son, also appears to have removed to Cohocton with his parents. He married on 27 Dec 1821, Huldah Lathrop, daughter of Ichabod Lathrop and Esther Pixley, and was occupied as a farmer in Cohocton, after which he resided, about 1855 in Jackson, Michigan. Huldah’s father Ichabod was on 19 Oct 1796, a founding member of the First Congregational Church of Pompey (with Joseph Shattuck) and was later dismissed from the church to Sandusky, Ohio. Huldah’s mother, Esther Pixley, was the daughter of Reuben Cooper Pixley and Rebecca Gridley, early residents of Pompey, New York. These Pixleys are likely related to Rebecca Pixley, wife of Stephen Shattuck. Truman and Huldah had at least four children, all born in Cohocton.
We have also researched the Josiah Richardson Bigelow family. Josiah, born 17 Apr 1754 in Holden, Worcester County, New York, married Sarah Culver, daughter of David Culver, before moving to Pompey, on 10 March 1800. What information we have been able to glean on the children of Josiah and Sarah, lead us to believe that the family lived in Guilford, Windham County, Vermont before coming west and settling on the Military Tract. Josiah purchased 590 acres of land on lot 26 in Pompey from Samuel Beebe. Josiah is found on the Pompey tax rolls for 1801 and 1802. In 1801 he was taxed $8.02 on real estate valued at $1415 and personal estate valued at $92. In 1802 he was taxed $8.02 on real estate valued at $1600.
Josiah and Sarah had nine children that we know of: David, Polly, Abel, Josiah, Joab, Sabrina, Sally, Elisha and James. Josiah died of a lingering fever by 16 Dec 1802 in Pompey. He was buried in the Pompey Hill Cemetery with his wife Sarah who died 5 Dec 1806 at age 48. The memorial stone was erected by their son Joab Bigelow, Esq. “of Michigan in 1847”.
David Bigelow, son of Josiah and Sarah, was born in Guilford, VT, and came with his parents to Pompey in 1800 and married first Cynthia Clark after his father’s death, and second Mrs. Elizabeth Pringle after Cynthia’s death. David had settled in Batavia, Genesee County, New York.
Polly Bigelow, daughter of Josiah and Sarah, was also born in Guilford, VT and married first a Dr. Allen, then a Mr. Hopkins. She resided in Canada.
Abel Bigelow, son of Josiah and Sarah, was born in Guilford, VT and came to Pompey with his parents in 1800. He had also previously signed a petition to establish the Pompey Academy which was recorded on 15 Mar 1802. Other signers of this petition include Ozias Burr, Daniel Wood, John Lamb, Reuben Pixley, Jr., Gad Loveland, Salmon Butler, Curtis Chappel, Amasa Wright, Elias Conklin, George Catlin, Selah Cook, Obed Handy, Daniel Tibbals, Dix Hoar, Benjamin Butler, Hezekiah Dodge, Joseph Shattuck, James Beebee, Isaac Catlin and Artemas Bishop. After his father’s death, he and his mother were made administrators of his father’s estate on 12 Jan 1804. Abel had married 20 Feb 1803, Sarah Clark in Pompey. He died April 1846 in Oakland County, Michigan.
Josiah Bigelow, son of Josiah and Sarah, was born in Guilford, VT and moved with his parents to Pompey, NY in 1800. He married Lucinda Bigelow and resided in Petersham, Worcester County, Massachusetts.
Joab and Sabrina Bigelow, twin children of Josiah and Sarah, were born 22 Oct 1793 in Guilford, VT. Both children came to Pompey with their parents in 1800. On 4 Apr 1809, Joab witnessed a deed in which Ithamar and Sally Coe sold 50 acres of land on lot 26 in Pompey, to Ithamar’s half-brothers, Seymour and Chester Coe, in consideration of $500. Joab would have been 17 at the time, and an orphan. We know that Joab’s younger brother Elisha was indentured to Deacon Levi Jerome until he reached maturity at age 21. We wonder whether Joab was living with Deacon Ithamar Coe, under a similar circumstance.
Joab served in the war of 1812 in Captain Leonard Kellogg’s company of Major Charles Moseley’s regiment from 29 Jun to 20 Sep 1812. On 2 Apr 1814, Joab witnessed a deed in which Ithamar and Sally Coe sold to Seymour Coe 25 acres of land on lot 26 in Pompey, in consideration of $225. According to the Bigelow Society, when Joab turned 21 he “took his ax and blanket, and walked to Genesee county, N.Y. where an older brother had settled, but in 1818 he returned to Pompey to marry Lois Putnam, daughter of Peter Putnam. By 1847 he was in Michigan, where he married Chloe Hyde Wells, after the death of his first wife Lois. He died 21 Oct 1879 in Concord, Jackson County, Michigan at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Rebecca Stevens.
Sabrina married 29 Aug 1813 Merritt Butler of Pompey, NY, where she died 24 Jun 1875. She was buried in the cemetery on Pompey Hill with her husband and his family.
Sally Bigelow, daughter of Josiah and Sarah, was born sometime before 1800 in Guilford, VT. She came to Pompey with her parents in 1800 and married Latham Clark.
Elisha Bigelow, son of Josiah and Sarah, was born 28 Jan 1796 in Guilford, VT and came to Pompey with his parents in 1800. A child of 10 when his mother died in 1806, he was bound as an apprentice to Deacon Levi Jerome of Pompey until he reached maturity at 21. H served in the army and was stationed for a time at Sacketts Harbor in Livingston County, NY in 1814. On 7 Jul 1816 he was admitted to the Pompey Presbyterian Church by a confession of faith. He married Maria Reed on 8 Apr 1817 in Pompey and moved to Constantia, Oswego County, New York, where, on 10 Aug 1823 they requested a letter of dismissal from the Pompey Presbyterian Church to join the church in Constantia. He then moved with his wife to Bethany, Genesee County, New York, where Maria died in 1833. He later married Harriet Jerome, daughter of Deacon Levi Jerome and Amarilla Bradley, and on 6 Aug 1838, he and his wife and the heirs of Levi Jerome, sold land on lot 29 in Pompey, excepting 90 acres, to Amasa H. Jerome, in consideration for $3,000. This deed illustrates the wealth of genealogical information that can be contained in such records.
“This Indenture made the Sixth day of August in the year of our Lord One thousand eight hundred and thirty eight between Seymour Coe & Phebe his wife of Oswego County, Elisha Biggalo & Harriet his wife of [Genessee] County, Ralph R. Wheelock & Lucretia his wife of Orleans County, Lucius Cook & Sophia his wife, Edwin W. Mason & Elect his wife, Betsey Sheldon, Amarilla B. Jerome, Mary Jerome, Levi S. Jerome, Dolly M. Jerome of Onondaga County all of the State of New York heirs at law of Levi Jerome Deceased parties of the first part and Amasa H. Jerome of the same place party of the second part....
Elisha is found as head of household in Batavia, NY according to 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880 US Federal Census records. He died 24 Feb 1883 in Batavia, NY.
James Bigelow, son of Josiah and Sarah, was born 1 Mar 1799 in Guilford, VT. He came to Pompey with his parents in 1800 and was living in Canada and working as a school teacher by 1822, residing in Hamilton, Province of Ontario in 1826. He married Eunice Springer 19 December 1826 in Canada and died in Hamilton in 1847.
We assume that Levi Jerome and Ithamar Coe, as Deacons of the First Presbyterian Church of Pompey, were well acquainted. On 27 May 1806, Deacon Jerome represented the First Church of Pompey at a meeting convened in Homer, NY, and attended by Rev. Messrs. Hezekiah N. Woodruff, David Higgins, Hugh Wallis, Jabez Chadwick and Nathan B. Darrow, in which the Revs. Joshua Leonard of Cazenovia, Jeremiah Osborne of Tioga and Francis Pomeroy of Brutus, “on their request, were admitted as constituent members of the [Middle] Association...”. Reverend Francis Pomeroy, of Brutus, was a first cousin of Spencer Pomeroy.
In trying to organize all of these connections, the landscape of Pompey must be taken into consideration. Josiah Richardson Bigelow owned property on lot 26, while Levi Jerome owned property on lot 26 and Ithamar Coe on lot 37. Lot 37 was on the southern border of lot 26. Did this proximity make Josiah and Ithamar near neighbors? Is this why Joab Bigelow was a witness to the deed between Ithamar, his wife Sarah and Ithamar’s half-brothers Chester and Seymour Coe in 1809, or was the connection between Seymour Coe, who would marry Phebe Jerome in 1810, who was sister of Harriet Jerome who shared her household with Elisha Jerome and who later married him, the reason that Joab was asked to witness the deed?
Marriage to Spencer Pomeroy
The original deed for property on lot 65, in Pompey, NY between George and Zeruiah Catlin was found amongst the Nathan R. Chapman papers at the Onondaga County Historical Society. Our researcher, Alethea Connolly who found the deed, did some additional research in order to determine if there was any connection between Nathan R. Chapman and this piece of property, but none was found. From Alethea’s report dated 11 Sep 2009, “In 1818 James Higgins conveyed the part of Lot 65 (formerly purchased by Spencer Pomeroy, then by Sarah Pomeroy) known to be approximately four acres to Canfield Marsh, Book U, pg. 186 (Onondaga County Clerk’s Office). That same year, Canfield Marsh sold a small portion of the property to Oren Benson, Book U, p. 87. That segment, about ¾ acre bordered on the southwest land Marovia Marsh held, bounded by a road with a garden fence noted. The document was signed by V. Birdseye, Master in Chancery, in the presence of Asa Wells and Luther Marsh, and recorded by M.N. McLaren, dept. clerk.
“In 1820 a larger portion of the property was sold by Canfield Marsh to Marovia Marsh; bordering on Northeast by land sold to Oren Benson... east six degrees South thirty one rods to Daniel Woods lands thence South twenty degrees East 12 rods to land owned by Henry Seymour then West six degrees North thirty three rods 14 links to said Oren Benson’s land then North to the place of beginning containing two acres two quarters and thirteen rods to be the same more or less... This deed was signed by Samuel Baldwin, Commissioner, in the presence of Asa Wells, and recorded by T. Adams.
“There were no other sales of land by Canfield Marsh from Pompey Lot 65, though he sold a few other pieces of property in Pompey.
“In re-examining the box the 1807 Deed was found in (2003.283.8A1 Box 1) no other deed or legal transaction before the 1840s was located. No other Pompey documents were in the box.
“I took a preliminary survey/inventory of other Chapman paper “boxes” (three large boxes) to see if there might be earlier documents and that his one may have been filed in the wrong box. The boxes contain stacks of legal documents of all kinds, wills, deeds, letters, and legal cases etc primarily from the 1850s through 1890s – an extensive legal collection. One box contained a stack of small diary/logs dating from 1859 through the 1890s. Some family letters are dated in the 1830s and 1840s.”
Thus, we are left to wonder why the Spencer Pomeroy deed was found in this collection.
We do not find any evidence that Spencer Pomeroy joined the Pompey Congregational Church, or any other church in Pompey, for that matter. We do know that his mother Sarah, with whom we assume he was living prior to marriage, was received to the Pompey Congregational Church by letter from the church in Westfield, Massachusetts on 4 Jul 1806. As a member, she surely would have been acquainted with Deacon Ithamar Coe. As a delegate of the First Congregational Church of Pompey to the Middle Association (of the Connecticut Missionary Society) in 1805, Ithamar likely came into contact with Reverend Francis Pomeroy, who requested and received a unanimous approval to be licensed to preach by the Middle Association on 20 Jun 1805. Reverend Francis Pomeroy was Spencer Pomeroy’s cousin, as Francis’ father Timothy was the younger half-brother of Spencer’s father Pliny Pomeroy. Were these connections enough for Ithamar to consider Spencer a man of respectable character who would make a good husband for his daughter Mary Ann?
Spencer was a cooper by trade and inheritance, most likely learning the skill from his father. Evidence of his occupation was found in his insolvency papers where tools of the trade were listed amongst his belongings. We speculate that Spencer was employed in this trade when he married Mary Ann.
A month after Spencer and Mary Ann’s marriage, on 5 April 1807, Spencer had sued John Osburn for $126, possibly for services rendered which he had not been paid for. Research into the identity and background of John Osburn (or Osborne), has not produced anything conclusive or substantive. We do not know, currently, what John did for a living and why he would have owed Spencer $126.00. Perhaps it was for cooperage services.
Alethea Connolly found the following information about John Osburn (Osborne) at the Onondaga County Courthouse on 25 August 2011: in 1797 John Osborne bought 50 acres of land on lot 49 in Pompey from Curtis Chappell, Aaron Bellows, John Thomson, Rufus Bacon and Jacobus DePuy for £37, 6s, 7p. John Osborne and wife Hannah sold some of their land on lot 49 in Pompey to S. Fisher in 1809. A John Osborne and wife Amelia sold property in Manlius to J.C. Hoyt, in 1817, but we are not certain that this is the same John Osborne who was an early resident of Pompey.
Mary Ann and Spencer are Parents
In the November 1809 term of the Supreme Court of Onondaga, Common Pleas, a suit was heard against Spencer Pomeroy by Henry Seymour and Oren Stone. This suit, originally filed 5 Jan 1809 for $300, was found in favor of Seymour and Stone.
Henry Seymour was well respected in the town of Pompey. He was the father of Horatio Seymour who would serve as Governor of the State of New York. He owned a store in Pompey Hill with Oren (or Orrin) Stone, where he resided near the intersection of the current Fayette, Fabius and South Streets. A blue and yellow historic marker designates the property on which Governor Horatio Seymour was born in 1811.
It seems unlikely that Spencer and Mary Ann would have run up a bill at the store in 1809 to the amount of $300, so we wonder whether Seymour and Stone lent Spencer money, to perhaps purchase property. This seems to be the start of Spencer’s financial troubles.
In 1808, Oren Stone is noted in Brigadier General Robert Earll’s brigade of Lieutenant Colonel Isaac Hall’s regiment of the Onondaga County Militia. The names in this brigade are interesting to note, as they contain many of the men that the Pomeroys and Coes knew and interacted with. The report from the Military Minutes of the State of New York is as follows:
“Chester Howard, lieutenant, vice R. Pixley, junior, moved; Gad Loveland, ensign, vice Chester Howard, promoted.
In 1809, Oren Stone is also with the “regiment whereof Elijah St. John is lieutenant colonel commandant:
Anson W. Jackson, second major, vice Stewart, belonging to the brigade in Cortland county.
Brigadier General (Isaac) Hall having newly arranged the regiments in his brigade, and the Commander-in-chief having sanctioned the same; therefore, Resolved, that the following appointments be and they are hereby made in the said brigade, pursuit to said arrangement:
John Ellis, lieutenant colonel commandant, vice N. Earl.
By 1811 it appears that Oren Stone had moved out of Onondaga County, as he was replaced as adjutant by Ephraim Cleveland. There is an Oren Stone who is found in Jefferson County, NY by 1815, but we are not sure if this is the same Oren Stone.
As it was compulsory for males starting at aged 18 to serve in the militia, it is assumed that Spencer was a member of the militia unit formed in the town of Pompey. His later insolvent debtor inventory lists a uniform, which we presume belonged to him and was used in drills. It is not known whether Spencer saw active duty in the military during the War of 1812. As such, Spencer likely served with Oren Stone.
Oren Stone was also involved in politics in Onondaga County. According to “Onondaga’s Centennial”:
“In the vote for governor in 1810, Tompkins received in this county 1,199, and Jonas Platt 890, showing a Republican gain. Pompey was the stronghold, flanked by Manlius and Fabius, and it remained faithful down to the Anti-Mason frenzy, when Pompey deserted to the new and short-lived party. In the vote for assemblymen Jasper Hooper received 1,712 votes; Robert Earl 1,651; James Geddes 1/237; Oren Stone 1,192, a very close vote, and giving the Republicans a majority in the Assembly.”
“Those unfortunates with less than two years residence were categorized “foreign poor” and were not legally the responsibility of the town. Therefore the constables frequently escorted the “foreign poor” back to their former place of residence.
“The 1813 law was repealed in 1829; prior to this town records frequently listed the widows and families who were warned out.”
According to an undated newspaper clipping found at the Onondaga Historical Association, “The first jail in the county was that erected at Onondaga Hill after the Legislature had appropriated $3,000 for the purpose in 1801.
“Previously, prisoners had been taken to the Herkimer County jail for confinement. And after 1804, when the Onondaga jail remained incomplete, the Oneida County jail at Whitesboro was used by Onondaga for several years.
“Although the jailhouse on the Hill had its building completed by William Bostwick of Auburn, contractor, in 1802, no cells had been installed. Then the building was used for a courthouse for a year or two. Finally the jail was completed piecemeal, a two-story building 50 feet square, unpainted, with a square roof pitching four ways to the eaves.
“Cells and doors were constructed of heavy oak, fastened with wrought spike. Each had a “diamond” in the center, through which prisoners got both food and light. The building, built on credit, cost $10,000 as it was when completed.”
“The first jailor was James Beebe, a Revolutionary veteran, who was succeeded by Horace Butts. The old jailhouse was abandoned when courts and jail moved to Syracuse in 1829.”
It would appear that Spencer Pomeroy knew he was in financial trouble months before filing as an insolvent debtor on 2 Dec 1811, as he and Mary Ann sold their property of 3 acres and a dwelling house on lot 65 to Spencer’s widowed mother, Sarah Pomeroy for $500 on 7 Oct 1811. One might well speculate that he sold the property to avoid the risk of losing the property, but one has to wonder where the $500 went, as it is not accounted for in Spencer’s insolvency file.
The list of suits, debts and personal belongings in Spencer’s insolvency file is quite interesting, and bears noting here:
“A true account of the Suits in which Spencer Pomeroy of the Town of Pompey in the County
Justice Court Before Asa Wells Esquire Justice of
Judgment Rendered in this case on or about the Seventh of October last on Promesary note for about twenty Dollars which now remains Due
A full just and true account or list of all the Creditors of Spencer Pomeroy of the Town of Pompey in the County of Onondaga Insolvent Debtor and of the monies Due or to become due and owing respectively by the said Insolvent Debtor
“To a just and true inventory or account of all the estate of Spencer Pomeroy of the Town of Pompey in the County of Onondaga an Insolvent Debtor Real and Personal both in Law and equity in Possession revision and remainder and of all books vouchers and Sureties relating to the same ---
My Wearing Apperal (to wit)
My wife’s Wearing apperal (to wit)
My 2 little Sons Wearing apperal (to wit)
Henry Seymour Dr by [D?] Bill an Store for 5/5 –
It would appear that not all the records of Spencer’s insolvency were retained in the files at the Onondaga County Clerk’s office, as there are no papers dealing with the settling of the estate including the sale of Spencer and Mary Ann’s property. It is very possible that these papers were somehow separated from the above transcribed papers. Perhaps one day we will find them, if they indeed still exist.
Two things stick out to us, as researchers, in reading this detailed description of Spencer’s insolvency. First off, given the fact that this family was living in an area that until recently (1800) was considered a wilderness, coupled with the fact that the head of household is filing for protection from the State as an insolvent debtor, unable to pay his creditors, it would seem that this family owns a great deal of personal property. Was this the norm in Pompey in 1811? Secondly, and possibly more trivial but no less fascinating, is the omission of shoes in the wearing apparel of Spencer’s wife Mary Ann. She owned, according to the inventory, two bonnets, two caps, four shirts, six handkerchiefs, five gowns, two petticoats, three aprons, two coats, one pair of silk gloves, a fan, a silk shawl, three pairs of stockings and a pair of socks, but where were her shoes?
Judy Smith, one of our researchers, wrote a report on the creditors found in Spencer Pomeroys’ insolvency papers:
“Henry Seymour – Born at Litchfield CT 1781, son of Major Moses Seymour. He was a merchant. Sometime after 1804 he opened a store with Orrin Stone in Pompey. When the store of Clark & Emmons closed a year or two later, Seymour & Stone became the main store in the Pompey village for quite a while. Henry built a windmill on Pompey Hill in 1810 which failed but he erected another which was used for several years in preparing grain for distilling. The windmills were located near the academy at the site where the Catholic Church was in 1871. The windmills were in operation until about 1838. In 1809, he was elected the Town Clerk. Henry was one of the first trustees of the Pompey Academy and held the position of treasurer from 1813 to 1821 for the academy. In 1819 he was appointed a Canal Commissioner for the state and it appears that his supervising of the construction of the Erie Canal was the reason he resigned his position of treasurer. Luella Dunham wrote that Henry and his family moved to Utica in 1819. She also wrote that he sold his residence and business to his nephew, Henry Seymour Marsh who worked as a clerk in his uncle’s store. Mr. Seymour was a State Senator from 1816 to 1819 and again in 1822. After he resigned from his Canal Commissioner position in 1833 he was appointed President of the Farmers’ Loan & Trust Co. in the city of NY. He died in Utica in 1837, Henry’s oldest son, Horatio Seymour, was born at Pompey in 1811. Horatio was governor of New York and ran for president against Ulysses S. Grant.
“Sylvester Holladay - Cannot locate a Sylvester Holladay on the Pompey 1810 U.S. Census. There is a Jonathan and 2 Amos Holliday for Pompey in that year. Possibly the son of Amos and living with his parents in Pompey in 1810. The 1820 census for Steuben County has a Sylvester and an Amos Holladay
“Elijah Howard – The only mention I find in the Pompey Re-union book is about Elijah buying a farm from Miles Dunbar and he sold it to John Todd. I also find him buying and selling lot 41 in 1812. He bought it from James B, Eleanor Clark, et al and John, Cornelia Fisher, et al and sold it to 3 different people.
“Samuel S. Baldwin – was on a committee that included Henry Seymour and Manoah Pratt to build an academy in Pompey in 1807. In 1811, Samuel was named in the Academy’s charter as one of the first trustees of the Pompey Academy along with Henry Seymour, Ithamar Coe, Daniel Wood, Daniel Tibbals, and Victory Birdseye. He was the first licensed lawyer to settle at West Hill (now the village of Lafayette) moving from Pompey Hill. In 1806, Samuel’s law office was in the northeast corner of the property either on or near Henry Seymour’s home property. Luella Dunham in 1879 wrote of Samuel; “he was a man of rare natural ability, and gained an enviable repute as a follower of Blackstone.” She said that his office was later removed from this site to where the “Gott office” was. Gott was the second husband of Samuel’s sister Ann.
“John Gaylord – Cannot find any information for a John Gaylord except that he is on the 1810 Census for Pompey, age between 26-44 years and a female, most likely his wife same age range.
“Abiram[?] Stebbins - no information on Abiram, there is an Oliver Stebbins on the 1820 Census for Pompey, no Stebbins on the 1810 Pompey Census. No Stebbins in Onondaga County for 1810. We do have an Abial Stebbins married to a Eunice Pomeroy who is a 4th cousin of Spencer’s. He died in Allegany County NY in 1871. He and his wife were from Hampden County MA.
“Jacob Hoar – came from Onondaga and settled on lot 48 in 1794 on the road from the village of Pompey to Jamesville next to a spring of water. He lived near the 4 corners that was called “Log City” which for a few years was a rival with Pompey Hill. He purchased the land from Ebenezer Lowell. More of the lot was sold to him in 1809 by James and Hannah Griffiths or Griffes. In 1812, he purchased lot 49 from Ephraim and Sally Bond. Beauchamps wrote that Jacob came to Pompey between 1789 and 1794 with Jesse Butler, brother of Ebenezer. He states that Jacob’s daughter Sally was the first white child born in the town. I read somewhere that the Hoar family from Pompey changed their name to Hobart.
“Daniel Tibbals – A doctor, came to Pompey shortly about 1800 from Connecticut and settled on the Hill. He also owned a drug store, unsure of the date. It was located next to the stone store. In later years, Calvin Balls’ goldsmith shop was in the same building. Daniel was married to Mary (Polly) Marvin and had at least one son, Charles Marvin Tibbals b. 5/9/1811 in NY, probably Pompey. Charles moved to Erie PA in 1836 and was a merchant and manufacturer. Dr. Tibbals moved to Erie to be near his son later in life. In the Military Minutes for the State of New York 1783-1821, Daniel is named as a surgeon for Onondaga County in the Militia for 1803 in the regiment commanded by Jeremiah Jackson.
“Col. Hezekiah Hopkins – Born 1758, Harwinton, Litchfield Co., CT, moved with his family to Clinton, Oneida County, in 1800. 2 years later, he moved to Pompey Hill. He married Eunice Hubbell and had 5 sons and 4 daughters. Col Hopkins purchased a tavern from Truman Lewis in 1803 and ran the hotel and tavern for 24 years. According to the “The Pompey Re-Union” he ran “a very temperate, quiet and orderly place.” I believe it was located at the south corner of Academy and Wall Street. In 1803-04, John Meeker opened a general store in Hezekiah Hopkins’ “Tavern stand” on Pompey Hill. In 1808, it was voted that hogs were not allowed to run wild within a ½ mile of Col. Hopkins hotel. In 1815 the two tavern keepers in Pompey Hill were Hopkins and John Handy. Col. Hopkins daughter, Charlotte, taught a school in his hotel about 1819, in the northwest room of the hotel. Hezekiah died in 1834.
“Ebenezer Carr – b. 1771, Saratoga Co., NY, son of Caleb & Margaret (Adams) Carr of Newport RI, was married to Mary Ann’s Aunt Clarissa Ball abt 1792. He was also the guardian for Lebbeus Ball, Jr.’s children. In 1795 an Ebenezer Carr was one of a number of men appointed overseer of Highways for the town of Pompey. He owned a farm on the Pompey & Manlius Road which I believe is lot 49 since he bought it from Mr. Anger. Ebenezer was listed as one of the earliest settlers to Pompey. He is referred to in the Pompey Re-Union as Captain Carr. Numerous land transactions as follows:
“Ebenezer & Clarissa Carr sold lot 35 and lot 39 to J. Canfield 1805 (D,350)
“James Landon – no record of a James Landon, but a James Langdon is on the 1810 census for Pompey. A William Landon bought lot 37 in 1815 from Beach Beard.
“Chester Howard – a blacksmith, built a home on lot 64 about 1808 which later was known as the “Beebe House”. He married Lucretia, sister of Manoah Pratt. When Chester owned this place he rented out to a priest by the name of Chadwick who lived in the front rooms of the building for a while. Victory Birdseye owned the place from about 1813 to 1817. Chester taught the blacksmithing trade to Merrit Butler and Harry Hopkins and the three of them became partners for three years. Chester and his wife moved to Ohio in 1836 settling at Westfield about 30 miles from Columbus.
“John McCarter – I don’t believe this name is correct. No John Mc anything on the 1810 Pompey census.
“ Phillip Root – 1810 Census has a Philip Root in Pompey with 3 males age 16-25 and one female 16-25. There are land transactions for a Peter P. Roots in Pompey for lot 100, could this be Philip? There is no Peter on the Pompey census, but there was a Peter P. Roots who was a Pastor of the Baptist Church in Fabius in 1807. This Peter was a missionary from Hamilton NY. His full name was Peter Philanthropos Roots b. 1766 Simsbury CT, he graduated from Dartmouth and went to Seminary in Boston. He married Elizabeth Keep of Winfield NY in 1797. She was b. 1776 in MA. They settled in Hamilton where he preached in the Baptist Church. In April 1803, he and his family moved to Pompey. In March 1805 they moved to Fabius where they stayed until 1825 when the settled in Mendon, Monroe County, NY. He died there in 1828. He would be too old for the Phillip Root in Pompey and too young to be a son.
“John Marsh – From Luella Dunham’s recollection, a John Marsh, who came from New Hartford, Madison County, once owned a home that was between Syracuse St (91) and Wall Street). I have in my notes that Luther Marsh was born there. She said that he made many improvements to the place and planted fruit trees and shrubbery. She does not give a date for it. Samuel Baldwin also lived here at one time. A John Marsh was partners with Charles Morris in a store in 1814. This store was located next to Daniel Wood’s law office. In 1811, a J Marsh bought from Lewis and Phebe Baker lot 64 (K,262). Also in 1811 a J. Marsh et al purchased lot 64 from Chester & Cretea Howard (K,264). An Ensign John Marsh drew lot 83 in Manlius from the Military Tract.”
While we do not know exactly when Mary Ann left Spencer, a few items found hint at a few possibilities.
In Mary Ann’s pleas for a divorce from Spencer in Huron County, Ohio Court, in a court hearing on 9 Aug 1827, a statement reads “The petition of Mary Ann Pomeroy of Norwalk in said County humbly showeth unto your [Honors] that on the fifth day of March AD 1807 she was lawfully joined in marriage to Spencer Pomeroy of the State of New York with whom she lived in the fruitful and constant performance of all the duties of the marriage contract on her part untill on or about the latter end of the year 1811. When he the said Spencer without any cause known to your Petitioner wilfully absented himself and totally abandoned and deserted her leaving her destitute of the means of living, with two infant children to support and has ever since continued his absence and has never since furnished her with any means to support herself or children. And your petitioner would further state that during the time the said Spencer lived with her his conduct was uniformly harsh barbarous and cruel in the extreme. And your petitioner would further state that since her marriage with said Spencer his conduct towards other women has been extremely lewd and improper and that he has been guilty of the crime of Adultery.”
Additionally is a “Cancel of Marriage Contract” found in the Huron County, Ohio Deed book, and attached to a quitclaim in which David and Mary Ann Powers revoke any right to property on lot 6 in Norwalk, containing 64 rods of land or 40/100th of an acre, received and recorded 7 Aug 1834 by Ichabod Marshall, Recorder. The contract states: “Spencer Pomeroy to Miriam his Wife Cancel of Marriage Contract. This may Certify to all whom it may concern that I Spencer by a Mutual agreement between me and my wife Mariam, have, and do by these presents revoke, and disannull the marriage covenant between myself and the said Mariam forever, and that I do discharge her the said Mariam in every particular manner name or nature whatsoever, as being no longer my wife, and she has liberty and full right to marry and live with any one that she may make her choice so far as it may concern me, as I will never disturb her in any situation in life whatsoever witness my hand and seal. [signed] Spencer Pomeroy LS. Dated at Pompey this 19t day of October 1816. Witness Calvin J. Ball”.
The time frame in which Mary Ann Pomeroy claims that her husband abandoned her (in the divorce petition above), directly coincides with the date that Spencer petitioned the court for insolvency.
In later years, Mary Ann is identified as a seamstress and we wonder whether she was supplementing the household earnings through this work in the early years of her marriage. Certainly, spinning wheels would have been common household items which women typically used to produce material to clothe their family, and the amount of cloth in the inventory may have been for the family’s use. It is hard to know if Mary Ann worked outside the family as a seamstress. It does seem unusual for a family with the amount of household goods that the Pomeroys claimed, would be filing as insolvent debtors. Were these items that Mary Ann brought with her into the marriage? Was her father able to provide a more comfortable living situation for his family than Spencer was for his?
It is interesting to consider what Mary Ann’s father Ithamar was doing in 1811. He was a landholder in Pompey and a director of the Jamesville Iron and Woolen Factory, and in part responsible for the repayment of a $4,500 loan given to the Factory by the State of New York in June 1812. Mary Ann’s brother Martin had moved to LeRoy, New York during this time, and in the years that follow, Ithamar would leave Pompey around 1816 and move his family to LeRoy, where Martin had already settled. The War of 1812 effectively stopped foreign trade, and severely affected many American industries. We can’t help but wonder whether the war negatively affected the Jamesville Iron and Woolen Factory. Its president, Nicholas Mickles, also owned a large iron manufactory in Onondaga, which supplied iron and bullets to the American Army. Did the Jamesville Iron and Woolen Factory also supply the army? It appears that by 1818, the Factory had fallen on hard times, and while the interest on the loan to the State was being paid, the value of the security on the loan (the mortgage of the property), was no longer worth the money owed. Could this have been a contributing factor to Ithamar Coe’s departure from Pompey, or did the reason lie in Mary Ann’s failed marriage. Or, was Mary Ann’s parents’ departure from Pompey, the impetus for ending her failed marriage?
On 29 Feb 1816, Ithamar Coe settled his account with Ferrier John Slosson of Manlius. Mr. Slosson’s account book, of which the first date is 1799, show him doing business with Ithamar Coe since 7 May 1813. Mr. Slosson’s services ranged from shoeing horses, mending a harness to a whippletree, pounding the plates on a plow, making a set of reins for a wagon, mending a dung fork, making a bayonet, making a grub hoe, sharpening shears and sharpening seven harrow teeth. Ithamar paid Mr. Slosson in cash, cider and other services.
The Lost Years - the Coe Family in LeRoy, NY
Mary Ann’s Brother Martin, born 24 Sep 1786 in Ballstown, NY, had moved with his parents to Pompey and appears to have been handling his father’s and family’s accounts when his father was out of town. The Jerome Ledger at the Onondaga Historical Association contains an account of Martin’s expenses and payments. From 9 Dec 1809 through 10 Feb 1910 he was charged for board and schooling, and on 17 Feb 1810 he was charged for schooling his brother Orman for one week. It is likely, given that Martin was 23 at the time of these ledger entries that the charges all related to his younger brother Orman’s education, but only the last entry states this.
According to the Coe Family Bible, Martin married Clara Hatch on 15 Sep 1810 in Pompey. The book Gazetteer and Biographical Record of Genesee County, N.Y. 1788-1890 states that Martin and Clara “emigrated from Pompey, N.Y., to Le Roy in 1811”,  while the book Early Settlers of New York State, Their Ancestors and Descendants, Vol I, gives his date of settlement in Le Roy as 1812. Martin served as a Lieutenant in Adam’s Regiment of the New York Volunteers, during the War of 1812. On 9 Nov 1812, he served in Genesee County as a Lieutenant in the 77th Regiment of Light Infantry under Captain William Sheldon.
On 20 Feb 1814, Martin O. Coe joined the First Congregational Church of Le Roy. According to the book Our County and Its People, A Descriptive and Biographical Record of Genesee County New York, “The development of the village of Le Roy fortunately had not ceased during the war, though of necessity the inhabitants suffered greatly. Even while the war was in progress, in 1812, J. & A. Nobles built a carding factory in the village. Another was in operation during and after the war by a man named Stewart. Brick yards were conducted by Martin O. Coe and Uni Hurlburt.... In 1815 or 1816 an oil mill was started by Martin O. Coe. This afterwards became successively the property of L.C. Morgan, Foreman, Starr and Co., J. M. Foreman, and Mr. Rogers.” It was about this time that his parents and several siblings removed from Pompey, NY to LeRoy.
Martin was identified as a Captain in the 77th Regiment of Light Infantry for Genesee County, NY in 1817. Martin was named president of the Genesee County Bible Society, with which organization he continued to be affiliated for many years, serving several terms as president. On 11 Jun 1819, Martin executed a twenty year lease of land between a saw mill and a carding shop owned by Martin, “sufficient whereon to erect a building twenty two feet by thirty, and the privilege of passing to the road from said buildings with Teams etc” to Anthony Cooley and Stephen O. Almy. Martin also agreed to support the dam which supplied the saw mill and carding machine, “high enough to raise six feet head from the bootom of his Saw Mill Wheel” and granted “the privilege, and leases as above, of drawing water sufficient to carry a well constructed oil drill, not to exceed one hundred solid inches of water for grinding, one hundred and fifty inches for pressing, and forty for other uses, as heating seed etc, said water to be used for making oil, and grinding Cake and no other purpose”. Martin also agreed to “be at one fourth of the expense of erecting a floom from the above mentioned dam to said Building above mentioned, and to be at one fourth of the expense of repairing said floom” as long as he used water from this floom.
In June of 1819, Martin was named co-administrator, with Sophia Noyes and Harvey Hatch, of Abel Noyes’ estate. Abel Noyes was the husband of Sophia Shepard Hatch, the older sister of Martin’s wife Clara. The Letters of Administration for Abel Noyes’ estate state that Abel was “late of the town of Le Roy”. Timothy Hatch, Clara, Sophia and Harvey’s father, had removed from Pompey, NY to Le Roy about 1814, where he died in 1844.